This recipe for Paleo Sweet Asian Pork Sides has the perfect balance of crispy edges, tender insides, with a sweet, tangy sauce and salty pork. A textural feast! Really though, this is the kind of appetizer that you can just slap together in 5 and cook a lot all at one time. It’s really the perfect for dinner parties or get-togethers. The sauce has a Asian flavor and the chili peppers give it a little sweet, spicy heat. So if you don’t like spicy, only use 1 pepper and take the seeds out of it. Just a quick note, you can use pork belly instead, but I like how the crispy edges of the pork sides contrasts with the meaty inside….they have the same general flavor, just a slightly different texture.
So I just got my winter garden out last week and planted brussel sprouts, broccoli, gourmet salad lettuce blends, and replanted my basil. I’m excited though because my tomatoes are finally coming in, as well as my jalapeno peppers and bell peppers. We still have cucumbers coming in and all of our herbs are going strong. It is so exciting to have food growing in at the house! I’ve really wanted a functioning garden for the last few years, so I’m really happy this is working! If you have difficult and/or limited space, try out Mel’s Square Foot Gardening…it has changed the way I garden for sure! …for the better! This weekend we’re doing a little relaxing, so I’m happy to get out in there and keep it going!
Recipe: Paleo Asian-Glazed Pork Sides
- 2 lbs Pork Sides
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- ½ Tbsp Coarse Sea Salt
- ¼ cup Coconut Aminos
- ¼ cup Paleo Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1-2 Bird’s Eye Chili Peppers
- ¼ tsp fresh Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Vinegar
- 2 Green Onions
- Slice the pork sides to ¼” thick strips.
- Combine the coconut oil and sesame oil in a saucepan and heat over medium-high (~6.5) heat.
- While the oils are heating, lightly dust the pork sides with coarse sea salt on both sides.
- Once the oil is very hot, so hot that it pops on it’s own, add the pork sides in a single layer. Cook on the first side until it is golden brown and crispy, then flip each pork side, place in a single layer, and cook until golden and crispy on the second side. This will take a little while, be patient…it’s worth it.
- While the pork sides are frying, combine the coconut aminos, Paleo Sweet Chili Sauce, Bird’s Eye chili peppers (1 if you like mildly spicy, 2 if you like spicy), ginger paste, and coconut vinegar in a food processor and blend until combined. Set aside for later.
- Once the pork has cooked, take it out of the grease and drain on a paper towel.
- Repeat this until all of the pork sides have been cooked to a crispy, golden brown on the outside, with a tender, chewy center.
- Once the pork is warm, but not molten, toss it in the sauce and serve with chopped green onions.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
This recipe is great alongside our Paleo Japanese Cucumber Salad!