This recipe for Paleo Beef Stroganoff is made with grass fed ground beef, onion, garlic, carrot, and leek and is seasoned with sage, bay leaf and thyme, served over zucchini ribbons. It is hearty, thick, warm and full of veggies and protein! I really don’t have any notes other than to say that you can leave this on the stove for a pretty long time (heat turned down to low, of course). Angel was about an hour late when I made this and it still tasted great…for those nights when you can’t predict when the fam is coming home ;)
Well, its been raining all week and cold. Nothing makes me want comfort foods more than cold, wet weather, so stay tuned for a whole slew of hearty foods. As you can imagine, we don’t get a lot of cold weather here in Florida, so I gotta make the most of it! We did just book our tickets to go to my parent’s house in Indiana for Thanksgiving and after that, we’re going to Denver to go to a conference and just have a little mini vacation, so that will be fun! I’m so pumped!
Recipe: Paleo Beef Stroganoff
- 1 lb grass fed ground Beef
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Yellow Onion
- 3 Garlic cloves
- ½ cup Beef Stock
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- ½ Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ cups White Button Mushrooms
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Leek
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 6 fresh sprigs Thyme
- 2 fresh Sage leaves
- 1 dried Bay Leaf
- 2 Zucchinis
- ½ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Dice the onion and add it to the hot oil. Sauté the onions, stirring, until they start to brown and turn translucent. Next, turn the heat down to medium (~5), then add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant (~1 minute).
- Peel and dice the carrot, mushrooms and slice the light green part of the leek (discarding the rest). Add them to the onions and cook for about a minute
- After a minute, add the arrowroot powder and stir to coat. Once coated, add the beef and cook for another couple minutes, breaking up the beef and mixing it in with the vegetables.
- Once the beef is cooked, add the beef broth, coconut milk, lemon juice, thyme, sage, and bay leaf. Stir to incorporate, then season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Let cook until the sauce is thick and bubbly.
- While that is cooking, we’ll make our “pasta.” With a peeler or mandoline slicer, cut the zucchini into 1/16” slices, discarding the tops and bottoms.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini ribbons and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Sauté the zucchini, flipping occasionally, for about 3 minutes on each side until tender. If you need this to cook faster, cover the pan while cooking.
- Pile the zucchini onto a plate, then top with the thicken beef mixture (making sure not to serve the thyme sprigs or sage/bay leaves). Serve immediately.
- This recipe can be made Vegan, just substitute the beef broth with vegetable broth, double the vegetables, and omit the beef!
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Thinking of what to make for dessert? Try our Paleo Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!