This Paleo Gra-NO-la Bars recipe is made with raw almonds, coconut shreds and sweetened with medjool dates, raw honey, vanilla, and dried blueberries. It makes me happy because I grew up on granola and now I don’t have to miss it! Easy to make and great for on the go, just wrap in foil or plastic wrap and you’ve got snacks! If you’re trying for crispy bars, you’ll want to check up on them often at about the 25 minute mark. You don’t want them to burn and you may have to cover them with a little tin foil. Also, this recipe works well with any dried fruit or chocolate for something a little seasonal or special like our Paleo Chocolate Cranberry Bars!
The first night, we went to the Skydeck at the Willis Tower (used to be the Sears Tower, but a bunch of lawyers threw down some cash and they got to rename it anything they wanted…so you knew it wasn’t going to be anything exciting, Ha!). We took pictures at The Ledge, which was pretty terrifying considering we found out after that one of them cracked with people on just last week! Afterwards, we went to Giordano’s for some classic deep-dish pizza. If you’re going to Paleo cheat in Chicago, you have to stop by and get a stuffed pizza from Giordano’s – it is just the best – we got ours classic Chicago-style, with pepperoni, green peppers and onion. The toppings are on the bottom, then the cheese, then the sauce…amazing! We walked around town a little then just caught up with some wine in the evening. Makes me really miss my family and I hated that Angel couldn’t be with us! I felt guilty having so much fun without him, but he was starting his first week on the job at Tratify, so he had his hands full!
Recipe: Paleo Blueberry GraNOla Bars
- 1 cup Medjool Dates
- ½ cup unsweetened Coconut shreds
- ¾ cup sliced Almonds
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp raw Honey*
- ½ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- ¼ cup dried Blueberries
- *We like to use a savory honey, like rapsflower blossom honey, but any type will do just fine. You just may taste a little more honey flavor if you don’t get a delicate-tasting kindPreheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- I like to melt the honey in the oil with the vanilla extract first. This just blends the wet ingredients and makes sure that they are incorporated. It only takes about 20 seconds in the microwave.
- While the honey is melting, place the almonds and coconut shreds in a pan over medium heat and stir occasionally, until the almonds and coconut are toasted.
- Pulse the dates in a food processor or blender and pulse until the date are finely chopped, then add the almonds and coconut shreds, as well as the sea salt and honey mixture. Pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and well incorporated.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the blueberries. Mix until incorporated (I use gloves).
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and press the blueberry-almond mixture evenly.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes for chewy Paleo Gra-NO-la bars or 30-35 minutes for crunchy Paleo gra-NO-la bars.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool enough to work with (about 10 minutes). Pull the parchment paper out and cut into bars once cool, but not completely cold.
- This recipe is Vegan!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Looking for good old-fashioned recipes? Try our Paleo GraNOla!