This Paleo Celery & Herb Stuffing is made with our Fluffy Paleo Wheat Bread, celery, garlic, and chicken stock, seasoned with parsley, thyme, rosemary and sage. It’s an adaptation of my mother’s traditional, non-Paleo recipe that she still makes every Thanksgiving. To our surprise, it worked out great the first time! We’re actually going to take this with us to an office party today, so we’re doing a little social experiment to see if anyone knows its Paleo. Ha! (As a follow up, they did not catch on and the dish was cleaned!)
And more Paleo Thanksgiving recipes!! For people like us who just LOVE food and cooking, the holiday season is just the best time of year. It gives us a chance to share our recipes with others and enjoy the company of friends and family. We just love the parties and the get-togethers and all the food and naps and tv and I KNOW that sounds terrible, but its true! Makes me all tingly I’m so excited!
Recipe: Paleo Celery & Herb Stuffing
- 1 loaf Fluffy Paleo Wheat Bread
- 2 Tbsp Walnut Oil
- 2 Celery Stalks
- ¼ White Onion
- 1 Garlic clove
- ¼ cup White Wine (or Chicken Stock if you don’t drink wine)
- 14 oz Chicken Stock
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup fresh Parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1 sprig fresh Rosemary
- 3 fresh Sage leaves
- ½ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- We make our Fluffy Paleo Wheat Bread the night before, cut it up into ½” cubes and set it out so it dries a little. If you don’t do this though, it is OK, and the bread can definitely be made same day, no problem, but you’ll have to dry it in the oven for a moment before you can continue making this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or if you made it the same day, 15 minutes or until slightly crunchy.
- In a saucepan, heat the walnut oil oven medium-high heat. Chop the celery, onion, garlic, sea salt and black pepper and add to the hot oil. Cook until soft, about 5-7 minute. Add the wine (or chicken stock) and cook until evaporated.
- In a separate bowl (large enough for all ingredients + bread), combine the onion mixture, eggs (don’t mix them when the onions are too hot or it will cook the eggs!), parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme and bread.
- Mix in half of the broth, stirring the stuffing. You want the bread to be moist, but not wet. If it takes all of the stock, great, if it doesn’t, don’t use it. I use about 8oz usually.
- Grease an 8” x 8” glass baking dish with a little walnut oil. Spoon the Paleo Stuffing into the dish and cover with tin foil.
- Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Then uncover the dish and bake for another 10-15 or until golden on the top.
- *NOTE: this recipe can be made ahead of time, just follow the recipe up to the “cover with tin foil” part, then refrigerate until you are ready to cook.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8