These Paleo Chewy Chocolate Cookies are made with almond flour, cacao powder, coconut oil, and palm shortening, and sweetened with honey, medjool dates and vanilla and really are something that every woman should know. …but being that it is almost Valentine’s Day, wouldn’t it be nice if the men of the world baked up some delicious and GAVE it to us all? I sure would like for Angel to make me some chocolately goodness! So this is dedicated to all of those Paleo men out there…time to get in the kitchen and be romantic! Haha! These cookies are soft, chewy, chocolately and delicious. If you want them to be a little MORE chocolately, just add some Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips! Note: These will look the same going in as they will going out, so shape them accordingly prior to baking.
Angel and I actually don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day in the traditional sense. We usually hang out together (which we do every chance we get anyway), and usually cook up something yummy (which we do most of the time anyway). This year, we’ve been invited to go to Disney for the day, so we’ll be in Orlando. Sad fact? I’m more excited about getting the dirt to finish my garden! …which we’re doing on the way down to Disney. My seedlings are doing great and I’m ready to get this party started! Oh, and Disney will be a blast too, I am looking forward to that!
Recipe: Paleo Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1/3 cup Cacao Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- ½ Tbsp Palm Shortening
- 3 Tbsp raw Honey
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 2 Mejool Dates
- Pinch Coarse Sea Salt
- Optional: unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Optional: Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper – this makes it easier to remove the cookies. If you don’t have any, it is in the same grocery store aisle as the tin foil usually.
- In one bowl, combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Mix to incorporate.
- In a blender (or Bullet!), combine the coconut oil, pork lard, honey, vanilla extract, egg, mejool dates (make sure they have the pits removed), and sea salt and blend until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until incorporated. Now, this is going to be quite a sticky batter, that is normal. This is also the stage where you would add the chocolate chips (if you use them, which we usually don’t).
- Now, spoon about a tablespoon of batter onto the parchment paper and then shape the batter into a 2-3” diameter x ¼” thick cookie. However you put them in the oven is pretty much the way they will turn out, so you’ll want to make them the right shape on the front end. They don’t need much space between them either, so cram them on there. If you want, sprinkle some coconut flakes on the top, which will toast up in the oven and taste fantastic.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Makes about 12-16 cookies
This recipe can easily be made Vegetarian, just swap the pork lard for palm shortening!
Pipe some of our Paleo Vanilla Bean Ice Cream in-between 2 cookies for a Paleo Ice Cream Sandwich!