This recipe for Paleo Chocolate Ice Cream is made with full fat coconut milk, cacao powder, raw honey, vanilla extract and sea salt. If you are strict Paleo, this recipe is for you, as it contains no thickeners or refined sugars of any kind. And the local raw honey is good for sinuses and allergies. It comes in response to a post that we made on Instagram yesterday.
So, Angel posted a picture of So Delicious Chocolate Ice Cream made with coconut milk and I have to say, it stirred up a little trouble in the Paleo community. A lot of mixed feelings about whether it was Paleo or not…so today I’m going to post our response to it. Overall, if you are going to cheat, this would be a mild one; much better for you than regular ice cream. But I would say that the agave syrup, the cocoa processed with alkali, the carob bean gum and the guar gum would be things that I would not suggest for every day Paleo living. While these ingredients are less harmful than chemicals, they are still quite processed.
Recipe: Paleo Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup Cacao Powder
- 3 Tbsp raw Honey
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ tsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp Almond Extract
- Pinch ground Cinnamon
- Pinch Coarse Sea Salt
- Combine the coconut milk and cocoa powder. I like to use a blender so that there aren’t any chunks of cocoa powder, but a whisk would do fine.
- Put the coconut milk on the stove and heat to medium high. Heat, whisking, until the oils begin to break out of the coconut milk. Take off the heat.
- Mix the eggs to incorporate and then slowly whisk them into the milk mixture– the key is to add the eggs very slowly and constantly whisk. You don’t want them to cook in the coconut milk.
- Then add the honey, vanilla extract, olive oil, lemon juice, almond extract, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature. Once cool, add it to the ice cream maker and follow the instructions on your ice cream machine (ours instructs to layer the ice and the rock salt and let it go for 20 minutes).
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can put the mixture in the freezer and stir every 10-15 minutes until it is the consistency you want. It won’t quite be the same, but it would suffice.
- This recipe is Vegetarian! For Vegan, just omit the eggs.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6
Looking for a different flavor? Try our Paleo Peach Ice Cream!