This Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup recipe is made with coconut milk, chicken stock, onion, ginger, and sea salt and is actually inspired by a recipe that I found on the Whole Foods website. I’d like to point that out because this is really a Paleo tweaked recipe that is so great for the holidays, I had to include it with our Thanksgiving menu! This is the perfect starter to go with our Paleo Oven Roasted Turkey!
So today I finished all of my holiday shopping and I’m so relieved that I found something for everyone! I really don’t have to buy for many people, but I like to make sure that I get something special for everyone. This is good, because it allows me to just sit back and chill for the next month as presents come in the mail. Ah, I love the Internet!
Recipe: Paleo Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium Butternut Squash
- 1 (14oz) can Coconut Milk
- 2 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 small Yellow Onion
- 1 Garlic clove
- ½ Tbsp fresh Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 3 tsp Red Curry Paste
- 2 tsp Coconut Crystals (or raw Honey)
- 1 ½ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Paleo Adobo Seasoning
- Large Shrimp
- Coconut Oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Dice the onion, garlic and ginger and then add them to the oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Stir the curry paste, coconut crystals, arrowroot powder and salt into the onion mixture and cook for another minute.
- To the pot, add the squash, coconut milk, and broth and turn the heat to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low (about a 3) and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Peel and devein the shrimp. Dust the shrimp with adobo and heat a pan to medium-high heat. Spray with coconut oil and cook the shrimp for 5-7 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and opaque all the way through.
- While the shrimp is cooking, blend the squash soup mixture in a blender (or Bullet, my favorite!) and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Top the soup with shrimp and cilantro and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
This recipe is Vegan!
This recipe goes great with our Paleo Oven Roasted Turkey, Paleo Celery & Herb Stuffing, Paleo Cranberry Sauce, and Paleo Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Don’t forget to follow it up with our Paleo Pecan Pie or Paleo Pumpkin Pie!