This Paleo Fried Green Tomatoes recipe is based from an old Southern classic, made Paleo with green tomatoes battered with eggs, coconut milk, and Paleo Breadcrumbs and served baked to crispy, served atop our Paleo Remoulade Sauce! I didn’t grow up with them, but they are very popular here and Angel and I enjoy them (especially if served with one of Angel’s Paleo Poached Eggs on top!). The goal here is to brown the outside while cooking the inside, but not to mush. The texture of these is juuuuust cooked through…like al dente. Or at least, that is what you’ll get cooking it by the instructions below. If you want them smushy, just turn the heat down a little and leave them in longer. Oh, and and we highly recommend the Paleo Remoulade Sauce…it brightens up the tomatoes and gives it a tangy, flavorful texture.
Well, it’s December 21, 2012 and in 3 hours, we’ll know if the world is ending, according to the Mayans. I’ll be cooking a Paleo Christmas Ham for the website, so at least we’ll go down with champagne and a delicious meal! Though I really doubt it. Really, I’m just excited about Christmas. All but 3 of my presents are in, and I’m getting excited about it again. Wrapped and ready to go! Christmas is always a really big deal in our house. We like to celebrate it for the entire month. It’s less about Santa and presents and more about spending time reflecting on the year and appreciated everything you have and making someone else feel awesome. I’m always so amazed at how thoughtful Angel is, but especially when it comes to presents. They’re always something very me and usually something I mentioned in passing or we saw together. I really enjoy them and I’m looking forward to seeing what he’s come up with this year!
Recipe: Paleo Fried Green Tomatoes
- Turn the oven to broil (500 degrees Fahrenheit, with heat from the top).
- Slice the tomatoes about 1/4 “ slices, discarding the stem.
- In one bowl, whisk together the egg and coconut milk. In another bowl, combine the Paleo Breadcrumbs ingredients.
- Dip the tomato slices in the egg mixture, then dredge them in the Paleo Breadcrumbs and coat each side.
- Place the slices onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If you don’t have any, grease it a little, as you don’t want to have to peel them off…the breading doesn’t stay on that well if they stick. Combine the oils and drizzle over the tomatoes.
- Broil on the middle rack for 5-6 minutes, or until browned, then flip and bake for another 5-6 minutes or until browned.
- You can pan fry these as well. Heat 3-4 Tbsp oil in a pan over medium-high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Garnish with diced tomatoes, Paleo Remoulade Sauce and chopped cilantro.
- This recipe is Vegetarian! It can easily be made Vegan if you omit the Paleo Remoulade Sauce and eggs!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4