Today, we’re going to share with you a very simple, but always a favorite, Paleo Pear & Pecan Salad, made with red bibb lettuce, arugula, spinach, pears, bacon, sea salt, black pepper and our Paleo Honey & Sea Salt Nut Medley. We’re so lucky that we live in Florida, because we have seasonal fruit and veggies galore, all year long; and this month, pears are still fantastic. I’m a little hit or miss on the texture of certain types of pears, but I think you’ll find that this salad has a really nice balance to not only the flavors, but the textures too.
Restaurant Review Day 2: Our next stop was actually in Boulder, CO, as we took a little side trek on our day off… amazing little town, full of really cool shops and local foods. We wanted to go to Centro, but the wait was so long that we got a little antsy, so we went to Amu, a Japanese Sushi & Sake House, instead. It was a very cool little joint with only 10 seats at the bar and 2 tables. We had to take our shoes off to sit at the bar, where we had a very amazing selection of food. The woman that served us was knowledgeable and very kind and made some really fantastic recommendations. The seaweed salad is phenomenal and we had it was slices of raw fish. To die for! If you’re living on the edge and decide to try their gluten free sake drinks, you will not be disappointed! Afterwards, we hit up Tonic, an Herban Lounge, and got oxygen treatments and elixirs made of holistic herbs. It has a great ambience and the owner is very chill. I would highly recommend this place, especially if the altitude is getting you down.
Recipe: Paleo Pear & Pecan Salad
- 1 cup Red Bibb Lettuce
- 1 cup Arugula
- 3 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 Bosc Pear
- 2 Strips of Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 1/3 cup Paleo Honey & Sea Salt Nut Medley
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Fresh ground Black Pepper
- Optional: Goat Cheese (if you’re Primal and eat dairy)
- Paleo Warm Bacon Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- Dice and cook the bacon (we like ours a little crispier, so we cook it at a medium heat (~6) until very crunchy). Set aside for later.
- Made the Paleo Honey & Sea Salt Nut Medley according to the directions. Once ready, take out of the oven to cool.
- While the Paleo Honey & Sea Salt Nut Medley is cooking/cooling, break apart the lettuce and toss it with the cooled bacon, Paleo Honey & Sea Salt Nut Medley, sea salt and black pepper. Mix in the salad dressing to your liking, then top with sliced pears.
- Note: it doesn’t take much salad dressing, so use it sparingly.
- This recipe can easily be made Vegan, just omit the bacon!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 2