This Paleo Savory Cauliflower Grits recipe is made from cauliflower, seasoned with a buttery walnut oil, coconut milk and garlic, with the texture of grits and the savory flavor of bacon. It’s the perfect breakfast side to go with our Paleo Rib Eye Steak & Angel’s Paleo Poached Eggs! If you do cheese, I would add 8 oz of Mascarpone to it and I’m telling you, it’ll knock your socks off!
The Super Bowl is over and the Giants won! Which is even more exciting because we’re going to a Tom Coughlin J-fund fundraiser in March and we’ll get to see him and Eli. The gala itself is really for a great cause and it’s a fantastic event, but having a Super Bowl winner and coach there doesn’t hurt! It really is for a great cause and if you are in the Jacksonville area, you should come out and support it! There will be great wine there and food from all over town. Granted, not all of it is Paleo, but think of the children.
Recipe: Paleo Savory Cauliflower Grits
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp Walnut Oil
- 2/3 cup Coconut Milk
- 2/3 cup Beef Stock
- 1 Applewood Smoked Bacon strip
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 ½ Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- ½ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- Pinch dried Sage
- First, remove the florets from the cauliflower head and food process them, so that they resemble the texture of grits. We want to do this first, not last, as if we do it last, it will be so soft it will turn into the texture of mashed potatoes!
- Next, dice the bacon and mince the garlic. Heat the oil over medium (~ 5) heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is slightly crunchy, then add the garlic and continute to stir and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix in the cauliflower, coconut milk, and all but 2 tablespoons of beef stock (we need the 2 tablespoons to make a slurry later). Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season the mixture with sea salt and black pepper. Once you have it seasoned, add sage to taste. It will not take much sage…a pinch is probably generous!
- In a separate bowl, mix the 2 tablespoons beef stock with the arrowroot powder.
- Slowly add it to the cauliflower mixture, stirring as you add. Once incorporated, continue to cook, uncovered, on medium until thick and creamy and all cauliflower is tender, but still retains the texture of grits.
- This recipe can easily be made Vegan, just omit the bacon and swap the beef stock with vegetable stock!
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4