Sometimes, I really miss being home. You never think about it when you’re younger, but if you care about family at all, it is really difficult being so far away. Well…unless you’re rich. My family does this camping thing every year and it was this weekend. They plan a theme and set up tents at my Aunt Cindy & Uncle Bob’s lake and have a full weekend of activities. This year, it was Duck Dynasty. They know that it’s a funny redneck show, but that’s the fun of the theme. They made beards (out of yarn) and took family pics with them in camouflage in the woods. They carve pumpkins and make a totem pole that they send adrift into the lake. They have fishing contests and scavenger hunts. Everyone brings a ton of food and drinks and plays music. Makes me so homesick. I think right now its even worse because things are so stressful with Angel and I – well, not between us, thank goodness, just work. I’m so happy for the book coming out, as it does mix a little nugget of happiness in with all of the madness! Haha, thanks for that!
On to the food! I love spring rolls. I don’t know why, but I just do. I hate that I can’t eat them on the Paleo diet because of the rice paper and sometimes, they turn into one of my few Paleo cheats. So to minimize those moments, I wanted to share this salad. Same great taste, but without the waste of a cheat! You could even wrap the ingredients into lettuce instead of just eating it for a true spring roll! If you like sweet dipping sauce to go with yours, try our Sweet Chili Sauce…just like at the restaurants!
Recipe: Paleo Spring Roll Salad
- Spring Mix*
- ½ cup Carrots
- ½ cup English Cucumbers
- 1 Hass Avocado
- ¼ cup fresh Basil
- ¼ cup fresh Cilantro
- 2 fresh Culantro leaves
- ¼ cup fresh Mint
- 3 Green Onions
- 1 lb Cold Cooked Shrimp
- Hoisin Salad Dressing
- We use Spinach, Baby Lettuce, Chicory, and Arugula
- If you didn’t buy cooked shrimp, cook the shrimp first. We’d recommend lightly dusting it in our adobo seasoning. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat (~7). Cook each side for 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp is pink and no longer translucent. Set it to cool.
- Combine the greens in a large bowl. Slice the carrots, cucumbers, and avocado and add to the bowl. Next, chop the basil, cilantro, cilantro, mint, and green onions and add them to the bowl as well.
- Toss the salad in the hoisin salad dressing and adorn each bowl with cold shrimp.
- This recipe can easily be made Vegan, just omit the shrimp!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Not in the mood for this salad? Try our Spinach and Apple Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing!