This recipe for Paleo Sweet Potato Chips is seasoned with honey, sea salt, paprika, cayenne powder, thyme, oregano, and white pepper. It’s surprising. We’ve tried to bake them. We’ve tried to fry them. But if you want the most bang for your buck, microwaving is the way to go! I know, it sounds crazy, but it’s true. There is something about microwaving them that works the fastest to get them the crispiest…without having to fry, of course. Anyway, other than this being remarkably simple, I want to note that you really need to watch these as they start to finish. Depending on the thickness of your sweet potatoes, you’ll have to adjust the time after the 3rd flip. The moment they start to get brown in the center, start to watch. They should feel crispy coming out, if not, pop them back in for a bit. Good luck!
I am very ready for this next week to come. By then, we’ll have the book turned in and the initial workshops for McKesson will be over. I’m hoping it brings me a little bit of solace, as I feel that we’ve had a lot of stress lately. I guess that’s what you get when you promise a book in less than 90 days. Crazy! It’s gonna be awesome though, we’re adding over 25 new recipes, never released on the website!
Recipe: Paleo Sweet Potato Chips
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp raw Honey
- ½ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp ground Paprika
- ¼ tsp ground Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ tsp dried Thyme
- ¼ tsp dried Oregano
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp White Pepper
- OK. These are really quite easy. First, wash the sweet potatoes and remove anything you don’t want to eat, although we keep the skins on. I like mine thick cut, so I put the slice blade on the food processor and get them to be 1/8” slices, with the skins on. If you want yours thinner, like actual chips, use a mandolin.
- The key here is to get them as consistent in thickness as possible.
- Next, line the tray in your microwave with parchment paper. If you don’t do this, we make no guarantees that it will work.
- Toss the sweet potato slices with the olive oil, honey and blackened seasoning. If you have ready-made Cajun/blackened seasoning, you can use it. If not, follow the recipe above.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes in one layer on the tray. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Flip the sweet potatoes. Microwave for 2 minutes. Flip the sweet potatoes.
- Microwave for 8 minutes, but here’s the catch: You will want to watch these for the last 3 minutes or so. Once the sweet potatoes start to turn brown in the center, you will want to remove them. This probably won’t happen all at once, so watch them. They tend to go at the same time if they are the same thickness and if they are in the same general location (so sweet potatoes on the outer ring will turn before the ones in the middle).
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool for super crunchiness.
- This recipe is Vegan!
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4