This Paleo Tomato Sauce is made with fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, yellow onion and is slow simmered with fresh garlic, basil, and parsley. It’s great over our Paleo Spaghetti & Meatballs. So versatile! I would like to take a minute to point out one thing about this recipe and that is to take the extra time to caramelize the onions. You can skip it and it will taste awesome, but it will taste even better if you take the time to caramelize.
I can’t believe its June. The time really does fly! I’m trying to think of ideas for Angel’s birthday, as it is coming up next week, followed by Father’s Day, Angel’s dad visiting, then our friends wedding – what a full month! With Angel’s dad visiting, we should be throwing some really interesting Puerto Rican recipes your way…so stay tuned!
Recipe: Paleo Tomato Sauce
- 1/3 Sweet Yellow Onion
- 1 Tbsp Duck Fat
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- 26 oz diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup White Button Mushrooms
- ¼ cup Water
- ¾ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ cup fresh Parsley
- ¼ cup fresh Basil leaves
- 1/8 tsp ground Cayenne Powder
- Dice the onions and garlic, but keep them separate. Heat the duck fat in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high (~7) heat.
- Once hot, add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until caramelized (you’ll want to stir frequently and continue to cook until the onions are a nice light brown).
- Once the onions are golden, add the garlic and coarse sea salt and continue to cook for one minute.
- Dice the tomatoes and mushrooms, then add them and the water to the onions and garlic, and bring the sauce to a boil. Set the timer to 1 hour, turn the heat down to low (~2) heat, and stir in the black pepper, parsley, basil and cayenne powder.
- Stir occasionally. Serve when the desired consistency is achieved (for us, its about an hour on low).
- This recipe can easily be made Vegan, just swap the duck fat out with olive oil!
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Try with our Paleo Spaghetti & Meatballs!