Every now and again, we like something sweet. I know you shouldn’t need it, being Paleo and all, but some habits die hard. We actually got the idea to make these after our trip to Puerto Rico. We found a brand there that we could eat, so I made it my new mission to create the perfect Paleo Macaroons.
These little buddles of joy are soft and sweet and keep well. They are the perfect size for when you just need a tiny sweet fix. Great on the go or at home.
Recipe: Paleo Coconut Macaroons
- 2 Egg Whites
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Almond Extract
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened Coconut Flakes*
- 2 tsp Arrowroot Powder
- 1 Pinch Coarse Sea Salt
- *I like to mix large coconut flakes with small. You really want to do twice as much small if you do it this way…too many large flakes and the cookies won’t stay together.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whip the egg whites until they are fluffy, but not stiff. I use a hand mixer and it only takes a couple of minutes, but if you don’t have one, use a whisk and hang in there, it will take some time.
- Mix everything else in a bowl, then add the mix to the eggs. Careful! You want to fold them in and try not to overdo it. The more you mix the eggs, the less fluffy they will be when they are cooked.
- Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I’m sure you are wondering if it is worth it and my answer is yes. I used to think it didn’t matter, but it makes life SO EASY. You can find parchment paper anywhere. It is in your grocery store by the tin foil.
- Once you have the baking sheet lined, and it doesn’t matter what side you put down, drop about a tablespoon of the mixture onto the sheet. Space your macaroons 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes. You will see that the tops will brown and a toothpick will come out clean.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Not on board with coconut macaroons? Try our Strawberry Ice Cream!