So I’m trying to get into the holiday spirit and make recipes that are in the spirit of the season. One of the things that my mom always did so well is making brunch around the holidays. She would have pancakes or waffles and fruit and biscuits and gravy and usually some sort of breakfast casserole. We’ve taken care of most of those basics (see links for our Paleo versions of those recipes), but we’re still adding to the feast.
This recipe is fast and easy and can easily feed 4 people. It freezes/reheats nicely as well, so if you are like me and are always in a rush in the morning, you can freeze these into portions and then just grab and reheat another day!
Recipe: Paleo Breakfast Casserole
- 2 small Sweet Potatoes
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Sausages (we like Chicken and Apple, but pork is great too!)
- ½ Yellow Onion
- 4 Eggs
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk
- ¼ tsp Sage (fresh)
- Coarse Sea Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- Grease a glass 8×8 inch baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grate the sweet potatoes (making hash browns) and then place them in the bottom of the greased dish.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Chop the onion and sausage (I actually put the sausage in a Bullet to break it apart) and add to the oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions are translucent.
- Layer the sausage and onion on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Put the eggs, sage, milk, ½ tsp of sea salt and ½ tsp of pepper into a blender (or Bullet!) and mix thoroughly. Pour this egg mixture on top of the sausage and onions.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4