This Paleo Sausage Gravy is modeled after my mother’s traditional sausage gravy. This version can be as thick or thin as you like it. I like that sausage taste throughout, so I blend the heck out of mine in a food processor, but if you like bigger chunks, just tear it up by hand and that will do the trick. Anyway, so my mom makes a killer sausage gravy. It isn’t Paleo, but it is SO GOOD. When I was vegetarian (yes, for a long time actually), she would make this with Morning Star fake sausage and it was just as good! And now, I bring it to you! Paleo…of course…and with Paleo Biscuits!
Recipe: Paleo Sausage Gravy
- 8 oz Pork Sausage
- 1 ½ Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- pinch Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp dried Sage
- 1 ½ Tbsp Walnut Oil
- Coarse Sea Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- First thing is first, break up the sausage into chunks, or blend in a Bullet for smaller chunks. Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and add the sausage.
- Dust the sausage with coconut flour (about half) and mix to incorporate, then add a little oil (again, about half) and mix to incorporate. Do this until the flour and oil are gone. Stir the sausage until browned.
- **NOTE: If you are using pork instead of a leaner meat, you do NOT need as much oil. The walnut will give it a good flavor, but it will get a little oily if you use as much with a fattier sausage. Just letting you know ;)
- While the sausage is browning, open a can of coconut milk (we like full fat – it thickens easier and has a better texture) and add it to the Bullet. Also add the sage and fennel seeds. Blend until the coconut milk is the same consistency throughout.
- Add the coconut milk to the sausage, mixing continuously and then season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4