I see a trend in this. I get all caught up in things and I forget to post, then I feel bad so I try to make up for it by posting a lot. I hope that it is working! At any rate, this recipe is a basic staple for me. I like Mayo. I just do. Being Paleo is not going to change that. So if you, like me, must have a little dressing and you want to make it yourself, keep on reading…
Recipe: Paleo Mayo
- 1 cup Grapeseed Oil*
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk only
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp ground Mustard Seed
- ½ Tbsp Coconut Vinegar
- ¼ tsp Coarse Sea Salt (or to taste)
- *You can use a light tasting olive oil too, but it can have an olive oil flavor, whereas grapeseed oil does not.
- Let everything come to room temperature. You MUST do this or it won’t turn out – trust me, we’ve all failed a million times because of this. Blend the eggs, mustard and salt together – you can do this with a whisk, hand mixer or blender, but I use our new food processor, because its the s*** and I love that thing. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon and vinegar. Add half to the eggs, whisk or blend, and set the other half aside.
- Slowly add in the oil, a few drops at a time, I mean a SLOW stream. DROPS if you are whisking. Go slower than you think you need to until the liquid begins to thicken.
- Once half of the oil is added, you can add the other half of the lemon mixture. Then whisk or add in the rest of the oil.
- Leave this at room temperature for 1-2 hours, then you can refrigerate for up to one week. Check your eggs’ expiration date too, you’ll have to factor that in.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Makes about 1.5 cups
This recipe is Vegetarian!