Well, we just weathered the first of our tropical storms (Beryl) for the season. And really, it wasn’t too bad except for the trees smashing up against our windows last night. I think the worst of it was that some of our neighbors lost power for the evening… luckily we did not, so we did a Lord of the Rings marathon. Yay for tropical storm parties! And so today, we catch up on some much needed work.
Spanish word of the day: la ensalada (salad)
I usually post my dressings and salads separate and make suggestions, but I feel very strongly about these two going together, so I’m pairing them for today. Of course you could use them for something else, but I really recommend trying this as is…its one of Angel’s and my favorites.
Recipe: Paleo Spinach and Apple Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
- 4 strips Blackforest Bacon
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 2 handfuls Baby Spinach
- 2 handfuls Arugula
- ¼ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Chives
- ¼ cup Pecans
- 2 Shallots
- Optional – Goat Cheese (if you do dairy, this is perfect!)
- For the Dressing:
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Vinegar
- ¼ tsp Dijon Mustard
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp raw Honey
- Reserved Bacon Fat
- Chop the apple and shallots into slices, the chives and the pecans into small pieces.
- Dice the bacon and cook over medium (~5) heat until crispy. Remove from heat, but save the reserved fat.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut vinegar, Dijon mustard, and bacon fat. Whisk in olive oil until the desired consistency is reached. NOTE: the more oil you add, the thicker it will become (=emulsifying). We don’t use too much, about 2 Tbsp.
- Toss the spinach, chives, pecans, onion and goat cheese (if you eat dairy) with the desired amount of salad dressing and serve!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Goes great with our Paleo Blackened Salmon!