I’m hoping this weekend I get a lot of work done – watercoloring, cooking, hanging pictures, taking Chance to the beach for a swim, you know…weekend work. I love the weekends – I just get to relax and take a break from my day job. I really do love what I do, but sometimes, I think I just need a break from it. Especially since we’re going through this transition with being bought by McKesson. I am definitely honing my skills of patience, that’s for sure!
I really like a good fish, but I hate when it tastes too fishy. I equally hate when the spice overpowers the fish taste. I really like it just perfectly balanced. I also like my fish grilled with a little tan on the top, but still flaky and juicy on the inside. So I’m taking this weekend to practice my grilling techniques, as Angel usually does the grilling. If I have to be without him, I can at least use my time wisely!
Recipe: Paleo Tropical Cod
- 4 Cod Fillets
- 1 Tbsp Chili Pepper Paste*
- ½ tsp Cumin
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Coconut Oil
- Paleo Mango Red Pepper Salsa
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to liquefy it, then mix in the chili pepper paste (*or minced chili peppers), cumin, lime juice, black pepper and cilantro (reserve a little for garnish).
- Marinate the cod in the mixture for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking. I prefer to grill this, but if you don’t have one, we’ve included instructions for pan-searing as well. Just before cooking, dust the fish with sea salt on all sides.
- Pan Searing: Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil over medium-high (~6) heat. Cook each side of the fish for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Grilling: Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the fish and cook for 3 minutes on each side (open grill) until no longer transparent in the middle and flaky.
- In general, cook time should be about 8 minutes total per 1” thick fish.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Garnish with cilantro and serve with our delicious Paleo Mango Red Pepper Salsa!