I’m trying to play a little catch up, so here’s a two in a row treat! And you know what is also a treat?? Paleo Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream!!!
Let me tell you something about this – it is creamy and delicious and wonderful! It’s amazing the things you learn to do when you have to make everything from scratch ;) And guess what? Its Vegetarian and Dairy-Free. Yum!
Now is the time to get your Paleo on and start whipping up this fantastic summer treat!
Recipe: Paleo Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- 14 oz Coconut Milk*
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Meyer Lemon Juice
- 1 cup very ripe Strawberries
- 1 Pinch Coarse Sea Salt
- *We use full fat coconut milk.
- Put the coconut milk on the stove and heat to medium high. Scrape the insides of the vanilla bean out with the back of a knife and add to the coconut milk. Heat, whisking, until the vanilla bean is evenly distributed and the oils begin to break out of the coconut milk. Take off the heat.
- Beat the eggs and then slowly whisk them into the milk mixture– the key is to add the eggs very slowly and constantly whisk. You don’t want them to cook in the coconut milk.
- Then add the sea salt, honey and lemon juice.
- Blend the strawberries in a food processor or blender and then add them to the coconut milk mixture.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature. Once cool, add it to the ice cream maker and follow the instructions on your ice cream machine (ours instructs to layer the ice and the rock salt and let it go for 20 minutes).
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can put the mixture in the freezer and stir every 10-15 minutes until it is the consistency you want. It won’t quite be the same, but it would suffice. Last ditch effort? Put the mixture in a plastic bag, then put that bag inside a bigger plastic bag (both should be ziplock). Fill the outer bag with rock salt and ice. Shake the livin daylights out of those bags for however long it takes to make ice cream…it will, but you’ll need energy and patience!
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
This ice cream is best when made fresh and is Vegetarian, but can be made Vegan if you omit the eggs.
Looking for a different flavor? Try our Paleo Peach Ice Cream!